In 2019-20 the school has 18 classes with 141 pupils, and operates five days a week. Since 2017 the school has been accredited as an exam centre for Ellinomatheia exams, organised once per year by the Centre of the Greek Language, Greece.
2013-present: In 2013 the school had 63 pupils across 8 classes and in 2016-17 105. In 2017-18 the school celebrated its 60th anniversary with 160 students in the roll. The Cyprus Ministry of Education and Culture and the Cyprus Education Mission, in addition to the Head’s appointment, reimburse for 12 teaching hours shared between hourly paid teachers. The extra cost is funded by the School Committee and the Greek Community.
2011-2012: the Greek community struggles to finance the teaching staff
1986-2010: the school has one teacher from the Greek and one from the Cypriot government
1982: the school is housed in the old vicarage (adjacent to the Greek church, and bought in April with a donation from the Greek Archbishop Methodios) and operates 5 days a week, a large number of pupils sit for the ‘Ο’ Level and ‘Α’ Level Greek language exams; there are also Greek classes for adults
1980: an additional teacher is sent by the Greek government
1977: the school is enriched with educational resources sent by the Cypriot government; Greek and Cypriot national days are celebrated and Greek dances in traditional costumes are performed by the pupils
1976: a pupil committee is established and a student school magazine is published
1975: the school, now with 76 pupils, 6 classes, 4 volunteer teachers and 3 assistants, is relocated by its new Head Teacher, Aglaia Hill, to Redland College and convenes every Friday
1972: the school in Weston becomes independent and has its own teacher, sent from Greece
1970: the school relocates to the Language Department of Filton College through the efforts of its Head Teacher, CharalambosStamboulieh, operating every Friday 6-8pm with 85 pupils, 11 classes and 11 volunteer teachers
1968: 38 pupils are registered in both schools. A six-member committee, with father NicodemosVelalopoulos undertakes the reorganisation of the school
1967. the school is relocated to St. Gabriel’s High School, in the city centre, for the parents’ convenience
1965-66: the school has 64 pupils: 47 in Bristol and 17 in Weston
1962: the number of pupils and teaching staff has increased and volunteers transport the children to the school
1959: the school is transferred to the Greek church of St. Peter & St. Paul, and a branch is established in Weston-SuperMare
1958: establishment of the school through the efforts of Archimandrite EirenaiosAthanasiades and Marika Matthew, who become its first teachers. The school is housed at St. James’ church, Horsefair and operates every Saturday, 2-4pm with 20 children
1951-1958: unfruitful efforts to establish a Greek school
Recognising that the children give up their precious spare time to learn the Greek language, our mission is to create a happy, interesting and caring environment where the children feel valued and respected, through which we encourage them to achieve their fullest potential academically, socially and culturally.
Our major aims are to promote the Greek language, culture and heritage whilst we recognise and value the importance of living in a multicultural society. We place a strong emphasis on academic success alongside encouraging our children to adopt Christian principles and to be proud of their background, culture and heritage. They are also encouraged to show mutual respect and support for each other and the wider community whilst simultaneously respecting the values and beliefs of other ethnic minorities.
As a supplementary school we aim to create as broad and balanced a curriculum to excite and motivate the children, promoting their enthusiasm for learning and inspiring them to acquire and enjoy a wide range of skills and knowledge.
Our aim is to establish the Greek School as a centre of excellence to attract children from the age of 4, from all backgrounds and from as wide an area as possible.
We recognise and celebrate the individuality and diverse contribution and potential of our school community and we encourage every pupil to achieve their full potential.